“I left Syria a couple of months before the Syrian revolution started. I went to Saudi Arabia with my husband. He is a dentist there. He did not want to come to America because he would have to give up his profession here and start all over. I did not want to stay in Saudi Arabia because I would not be able to work or drive there; women have few rights. I wanted a better life for my children and myself. My husband told the children, “If your mother wants to go to America she can.”
“I came here one year ago with my two young children; my baby was born here. Milford is now our home. I love America, and the people in Milford are very nice. I am working hard at learning English so that I can get a job. I would one day like to be able to work in the journalism field. I want to help people change their minds about Syria. I want to be an inspiration for my children. I want to say thank you.”
Make your gift online today!
- * Last year we tutored over 100 adult students.
- * 85% are women.
- * We touched the lives of 1200 children with book donations.
- * More than 100 volunteers make this happen!
- * Our volunteers donate over 5,000 hours to the mission of literacy!
Please consider supporting literacy as we close out 2016. Consider a donation today or visit www.lvsct.org to make your donation online.
Tami Jackson, Executive Director
Martin O’Neill, Board President
A Gift from you Gives…
- $25 Book for a Student
- $50 Books for Babies and Birthday Programs
- $100 Supports Tutoring Program
- $250 Supports the Computer Class
- $500 Buys the Challenger Book Series for 5 students
Board of Directors
Run or walk, for a good “Claus” at
- Martin O’Neill (President)
- Tim Cashman (Vice President)
- Jack Gleason (Treasurer)
- Monica Foran (Secretary)
- Heather Carolan
- Robyn Drucker
- Tracy Edwards
- David Howe
- Pat Raffauf
- Paula Smith
- Tami Jackson – Executive Director
Sunday, December 4, 2016.
Join hundreds of Santa’s & Elves as we hit the streets in downtown Milford!
Sign up today!
- * Get your family and friends and join us for the first Winter Sprinter.
- * Enjoy holiday music, candy, and cookies.
- * The timed 3-mile challenge will begin and end at the Parsons in a grand finale filled with awards.
- * There will also be a 1-mile challenge for people to participate in.
- * The first 150 to register online will receive a goodie bag!
- * Snacks and fluid will be provided after you finish.
Milford English Classes-
, 6:30 pm- Conversation Class
, 10:00 am- Advanced Class
6:30 pm- Intermediate Class, child care
Meadowside School (Sept-June)
, 9:00 am- Grammar class
11:00 am Drivers Education Class
12:30 pm- Intermediate Class
Stratford English Classes-
Tuesday, 1:30 pm – Conversation Class- Stratford Library
More information on one on one tutoring.
November 16-30 – 6:00 – 8:00 Milford
Click. for more info or call to sign up, 203-878-4800
“Thanks for Giving” Book Drive-
We are accepting gently used children’s books. Please drop your books to 16 Dixon St on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, 9-3. Do not leave outside. (no yellowed, torn, written in books)
Below, Noah collected books and made this donation last summer. Way to go!!!
Ways to Support
Literacy Volunteers of Southern Connecticut.
* Copy Paper
* Water Bottles
* Birthday wrapping paper, generic
* Gently used children’s books
* Volunteers to work at our Satellite offices at Milford Library and Stratford Library.
* Volunteer driver to drop off books.
* Help with a fundraiser.
* Become a Tutor.
* Coordinate a book drive.